It’s a real conundrum isn’t it?
People like the abandoned cart email. It’s the best-converting email that eCommerce marketers send. Clearly, recipients view this email as important.
- Nearly half (44.1%) of all cart abandonment emails are opened.
- Over a tenth (11.6%) of all cart abandonment emails are clicked.
- Just under a third (29.9%) of clicks lead to a recovered purchase back on site.
- The AOV of recovered purchases is 14.2% higher than typical purchases.
- LemonadeStand outlines an abandoned cart email series that captures 22% of abandoned carts and increases revenue by 9%
If visitors want this email, why don’t they give brands their email address?
Perhaps an analogy would be helpful.
Let’s say that you’re on a plane. When you takeoff, the pilot announces your destination, the length of the trip, and your expected arrival time. Sometimes, she’ll announce interesting sites that you might be interested in seeing as you pass by.
Imagine if the pilot announced every city, every body of water, every mountain, and every cloud formation.
These constant announcements are basically noise.
The Fear of Noise (“FoNo”) drives many online shoppers today. They are afraid of receiving dozens upon dozens of emails from your brand over the next year.
- They like your site. They look at a few products and like them. They might even add something to a shopping cart. Yet 23% of shoppers will abandon their cart if they have to create a new user account. Fear of Noise.
- Nearly everyone dismisses that email-collecting-popup that you’ve triggered to appear. Why? Well, for one, they haven’t seen any of your products yet, and two – FoNo!
At the end of the day, your goal is to create a pleasing customer experience that drives additional revenue. Think like your consumer and react to their needs. They want email from you when it’s relevant – figure out how to put it in their inbox without triggering FoNo and you’re a winner.
Using tools for email retargeting can be a great way to followup with visitors in real-time as they check out or add products to their carts.