You’re feeling pretty good about the size of your email database. You’ve worked hard to obtain those new email addresses-carefully guiding droves of customers through the almighty website subscription form, register sign-up and your customer service’s data capture process. Maybe you’ve even surpassed your quarterly goals. Either way, you’re pleased, your boss is pleased and now you can kick back and ride the gravy train to email marketing Easy Street.
Now for the reality check. Did you know the average email list decays by 25% each year? That means, for every four new contacts you gain, you’re likely to lose one. Yikes. Time to hop off the gravy train and get back to work.
Here’s the good news, though: there are plenty of ways you can quickly- and organically-grow your email list. Here are our top four tips:
1. Create More Shareable Content
One of the best ways to get more eyeballs on your emails is to create content that’s so enchanting and addictive, your subscribers will feel compelled to share with their friends. Whether it’s a blowout sale, a helpful newsletter or simply a witty transactional response, great content excites and delights. Here are five characteristics of shareable emails:
- They’re valuable: Provide something to enrich the lives of your subscribers, such as an offer or a bit of knowledge, and they’ll likely forward it to others who can also benefit.
- They’re relatable: Use relevant trending topics, and appeal directly to each segment’s lifestyle and interests. The more personalized you make your content, the more your subscribers will be able to identify like-minded people within their online social sphere.
- They’re reactive: Few items are as share-worthy as inspiring stories, breaking news and cutting-edge trends. When you evoke an emotional response, you’re more likely to enjoy shares. They’re easy: Keep in mind that attention spans are waning. If your content is difficult to navigate or too dense for a quick-read, your subscribers will likely move on. By keeping it easy to read, and adding buttons to make it easy to share, sharing is inevitable.
- They’re mobile-friendly: Responsive emails are great. But if you can’t make it responsive, at least make it mobile-friendly with a single-column design, larger buttons and clear calls to action. These small updates will increase mobile shareability.
2. Hold an Online (and Offline) Contest
Everyone loves a good contest because it encompasses two of our favorite things-free stuff and competition. A well-marketed giveaway can do three major things for your brand:
- Inspire customer loyalty
- Create brand awareness
- Generate excitement
Additionally, most people are more-than-happy to provide their email address in exchange for a chance to win something valuable. However, once customers have bestowed the gift of their data, you need to make it worth their while with enjoyable, personalized emails.
Bonus Tip: If you have a brick-and-mortar store, market your online contest through signage and during the check-out process to encourage additional sign-ups.
3. Leverage Social Media
Social media platforms were built for sharing. It’s the sole reason they exist. If you’re not leveraging your social media presence to help grow your email list, you’re missing an enormous opportunity. Here are three easy ways to grow your database through social media efforts:
- Place a “sign up” call to action in the header of your Facebook business page. (Here’s a handy tutorial for Facebook page CTAs.)
- Promote offers and contests via social media, and link to a landing page, which should include a sign-up form.
- Create advertising campaigns geared toward sign-ups. Don’t forget to use lookalike modeling to broaden your reach!
4. Co-Market with a Partner
They say there is strength in numbers, and fewer places is this statement as appropriate as co-marketing. Choose a business with whom you have a positive relationship, similar audience and mutual interest, then team up! Create a co-branded offer, such as a give away, or build a downloadable piece of premium content, such as a guide or eBook. Co-marketing allows both parties to double their reach and can earn you plenty of new subscribers.
While these aren’t the only ways to grow your email list, they’ll certainly help you get on the right track. By creating more shareable content, holding contests, leveraging your social media presence and co-marketing with a partner, you can increase your list size fast.
Don’t let email list decay kill your results. Prune inactives, avoid spam traps and keep your list clean with Email Validation.